Pages

April 16, 2012

Though I'm Not Sure What This Means


I think of Robert Creeley. The first poet I ever knew.
His books signed under the Christmas tree.

Reading his pamphlets of poems in bed late at night
on the sliver of my mattress unencumbered by stuffed animals,
I would pause at the end of a verse,
thinking I like the way this sounds
though I'm not sure what it means,
I'm pretty sure it is holy.

It was my first introduction to interpreting the unknowns in this world
and when i cant quite figure out what's going on
I close my eyes and think
                                                            though I'm not sure what this means,
                                                            I'm pretty sure it is holy.
THE HERO
Each voice which was asked
spoke its words, and heard
more than that, the fair question,
the onerous burden of the asking.
And so the hero, the
hero! stepped that gracefully
into his redemption, losing
or gaining life thereby.

--Robert Creeley

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Ker! I've been thinking a lot about poetry recently, or at least thinking that I should start reading more of it. It's hard to know where to start and sometimes the words feel so far away. Your sentiment,

    I would pause at the end of a verse,
    thinking I like the way this sounds
    though I'm not sure what it means,
    I'm pretty sure it is holy.

    ...is exactly how I still feel when reading poetry. Things are lost on me, I know it, but I still love how it sounds, and I know too know that it is holy.

    xo

    ReplyDelete